Medical laboratory technologists [NOC 3211] conduct a variety of medical laboratory tests to assist in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease.
As a medical laboratory technologist you perform the following duties:
- Conduct analyses of blood, urine and other body fluids
- Prepare tissue sections for microscopic examinations
- Conduct blood group, type and compatibility tests for transfusion purposes
- Set up, operate and maintain laboratory equipment
- Conduct quality control assessment of testing techniques
You may specialize in the following areas:
- clinical chemistry – chemically analysing blood and other body fluids
- clinical microbiology – culturing and identifying micro-organisms and determining antibiotic sensitivities
- hematology – studying blood cells
- histotechnology – preparing tissue specimens for microscopic examination
- transfusion medicine – taking and testing blood to determine its suitability for transfusions and preparing blood products
- cytotechnology – microscopically examining prepared cellular slides for evidence of abnormality or disease
- clinical genetics – analysing patient tissue to determine the presence of a pre-existing genetic condition.
Medical laboratory technicians [NOC 3212] conduct routine medical tests and set up, clean and maintain equipment.
As a medical laboratory technician you perform the following duties:
- Collect blood or other samples from patients
- Conduct routine laboratory tests and sample analyses
- Log patient samples and prepare them for testing
- Set up, clean and maintain medical laboratory equipment